How much do you know about Thanksgiving? It may have all started with a 3-day festival of hunting and feasting in celebration of the pilgrims first successful harvest almost 400 years ago, but we bet there are a few things you didn’t know. Here are some fun facts on Thanksgiving:
- The very first Thanksgiving menu included venison – not turkey, pumpkin pie, or mashed potatoes!
- Abraham Lincoln proclaimed Thanksgiving an official holiday in 1863 during the Civil War – hundreds of years after the Pilgrims first feasted with the Wampanoag Indians.
- In 1989, George Bush began the tradition of pardoning one turkey each year.
- On average, about 280 million turkeys are sold for Thanksgiving feasts. Californians consume more turkey than any other state.
- On average 50 million pumpkin pies are eaten during Thanksgiving.
- Turkeys can’t see very well in the dark.
- Benjamin Franklin wanted the turkey to be the national bird of the United States.
From all of us at Inlanta Mortgage, we hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!