In honor of #NationalStressAwarenessDay, here are 8 ways you can de-stress
- Unplug: Experts say a major cause of stress is your electronics. Whether it’s frequent social media usage or checking your email after work hours, ditch the habit. Unplug from your everyday stresses, forget about tomorrow’s unforeseen problems and focus on being in the present.
- Wind Down: It is very important to wind down after a long day of work. Whether that means coming home and taking a hot bath or swapping your corporate suit for workout clothes and going for a long run. Do whatever you have to do to recuperate from your work day and relax!
- Work Out: Speaking of going for a run, exercise is a majorly awesome way to de-stress! Not only is exercising good for your health, it also releases endorphins into your brain that improve your overall mood. Start by doing something active for 30 minutes each day.
- Enjoy Mother Nature: There is nothing better than spending time outdoors after being stuck in an office all day long! They say that Mother Nature is the ultimate antidepressant, so head outdoors whenever you can to breathe in some fresh air and take in surroundings that don’t include a computer screen or copier.
- Get Organized: Perhaps it’s your messy room or unpaid bills leaving you frazzled. Start de-stressing by getting organized! Adding some organization into the mix brings a sense of control and peace of mind to your already chaotic life. If you feel overwhelmed by everything that needs to be done, start by making a list! The fact that you completed a list will already make you feel more organized and give you motivation to get things done.
- Meditate: Never underestimate the power of a good meditation session. As St. Francis de Sales once said, “Where there is peace and meditation, there is neither anxiety nor doubt”. Take 15 minutes in the morning or before bed to sit in silence and focus on nothing but your breathing. This short window of meditation time can bring peace into your hectic world.
- Pamper Yourself: Who doesn’t love to be pampered? If you are feeling stressed to the limit, do yourself a favor and schedule a massage or spa day to recharge and rejuvenate. The money spent for your “me time” will be worth it when you leave feeling refreshed and relaxed.
- Get a Good Night’s Sleep: Lack of sleep can cause everything around us to stress us out. If you routinely have trouble sleeping, then you are used to feeling cranky, irritable, and sluggish all day long. Fix this by changing your bedtime habits or read these tips on how to get a better night’s sleep.