Endless cold days, slippery iced roads and having to shovel the sidewalk can really change a person’s attitude during the winter season. You may be left wondering, “Why do I still live here?” or “How many days until summer already!?” Relax, it will come. In the meantime, find ways to actually enjoy this chilly time of year by finding activities that you can only appreciate in the winter!
- Take up a Winter Sport. This goes without saying, you can only snowboard, ski, snowshoe, ice fish or go snowmobiling when it’s COLD and SNOWY out! If you’ve ever been intrigued by any of these hobbies, now is the time to get out there and do them! You will actually be looking forward to the next blizzard because you can finally bust out those skis!
- Splurge on a Winter-Friendly Wardrobe. How come winter clothes are always so much more expensive than summer apparel? It seems unfair to have to spend more cash on clothing when the holidays are already an expensive time of year. You can score some major bargains at post-holiday sales though. Stock up on lavish sweaters, boots and coats in January or the end of February – when stores are rolling out their spring collections already.
- Join a Book Club. Cozying up to the fireplace with a good book is a relaxing way to spend a cold winter’s day, so why not make it more of a social experience by joining a book club? Meeting on a regular basis with other literature-fanatics will get you out of the house and will also give you great suggestions on new novels to enjoy in your free time.
- Cook Hearty Dishes. Now is the time to indulge in that calorie-loaded turkey pot pie you’ve been lusting after. Heavy dishes like pot pies, vegetable beef stews and clam chowders are only appealing in the winter – so take advantage of it! Trying new recipes and being experimental in the kitchen will also lift your spirits. Ask your significant other or a friend to give you a hand in the kitchen and turn meal time into a social activity! Just remember to limit the number of fattening dishes you make to avoid winter weight gain.
- Start a Work Out Routine. This one is a no-brainer. You know the loads of benefits that regular exercise can produce – so what are you waiting for? Joining a gym, or even working out at home, will boost your endorphins and keep you positive even when it’s dark out before 4 pm. Sticking to a regular workout routine (about 30 minutes a day for five days a week, or an hour a day for 3 days a week) will keep your body, mind and spirit uplifted all winter. Not to mention you’ll look amazing when summer rolls around!
- Plan a Vacation – or a Staycation. My favorite way to beat the winter blues – planning a vacation to a hot, tropical location! Check Living Social or Groupon for some great last minute deals. Is a vacation not in your budget right now? Try a “staycation” – a weekend getaway that is only a short drive away from your home. Try a scenic ski lodge with a great restaurant, or a swanky hotel with a five-star spa! Enjoy some indoor activities that you can only splurge on because the weather is awful.
What are your favorite ways to stay positive during the winter season?